Thursday, October 2, 2008

Afield!


Today I took Winnie for her first long walk on a leash. She's been off and on with the leash thing, but as it turns out she walks much better on it when she's in unfamiliar territory.

So I walked her up the street where we came across several future home lots. Other than the corners staked out it was basically just a big field with tall grass and brush. It was fun to let her go and watch her bound around in the thick cover! I'd like to tell you that she's hunting in these photos where she looks like she's hunting. And, I suppose she is, if pointing deer poop and cattails counts as hunting. But it was really fun to see her in that environment.

We actually scared up several doves, but they were all too far away to even get her attention. But there are a lot of doves in that field. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't yet know, that's all a part of the whole 'rookie gun dog owner' thing! Anyway, fun after work outing and I think running through that heavy cover will help her sleep well tonight.





3 comments:

hwvizsla said...

She sure looks like she's on the road to a huntin' dawg career to me!

Ed. said...

Well let's wait till she points something that's not a plant or poop before we jump the gun, but I am encouraged that she enjoyed running through heavy cover looking for *something*!!

Delilah and Rocket said...

Oh the field! we LOVE the fields